Global Engagement Fund
The Global Engagement Fund is a competitive grant program for Penn faculty and senior administrators that seeds creative, cross-disciplinary projects that will catalyze entrepreneurial research or initiatives in a global context and position Penn as a leader of global research and intellectual innovation.
The primary goals of the Fund are to:
- Develop new insight on pressing global issues in key countries/regions of the world and important global trends;
- Promote collaboration and the integration of knowledge across Schools and disciplines; and
- Advance research and showcase innovative and entrepreneurial models for engagement.
We seek proposals that meet the primary goals of the Global Engagement Fund and articulate a clear plan for impact, with the intent of meaningfully continuing the work beyond the scope of the Global Engagement Fund.
The grant term for proposals submitted under the 2021 Annual Call for Proposals is up to two (2) years. Applicants should plan for a start date of July 1, 2021.
Types of Support
- Research and engagement awards (up to $40,000) support field work, research travel and associated costs, research and educational initiatives, and curricular and course development initiatives.
- Convening awards (up to $10,000) are designed to support conferences, symposia, workshops or scholarly meetings with clear end products and avenues for continued research, curricular or course development initiatives, and/or significant contributions to broader debates on global issues. Convenings should provide enrichment opportunities to interested faculty, students, and staff and enhance existing research and scholarly programs.
Learn More About the Fund
All other parameters of the Global Engagement Fund apply. Refer to our website to learn more about the Fund's requirements regarding eligibility, types of support, allowable and unallowable costs, and budget.
Spring 2021 Application Timeline
Call for Proposals Launched
December 1, 2020
February 15, 2021
|Awards Announced||May 2020|
Applicants should plan for a project start date of July 1, 2021.
Step 1: Review all GEF requirements
To ensure you are eligible and competitive for funding, it is important that you review all fund requirements before completing an application. You will find detailed requirements regarding eligibility, types of support, allowable and unallowable costs, and project term and budget on the Penn Global website.
Step 2: Complete your application on SurveyMonkey Apply
You will submit your proposal through SurveyMonkey Apply, which Penn Global now uses to run almost all aspects of its funding programs. Click "Apply" in the green box to the right of this window to begin. If you do not have a SurveyMonkey Apply account, you will be required to create one before proceeding. Before you begin your application, be sure you have reviewed the requirements!
NB! Once you’ve completed your application in SurveyMonkey Apply and BEFORE submitting your proposal, you will be required to request a signature from each of the following:
- Department Chair (if applicable)
- Dean of School
- Faculty Lead
- Senior Business Administrator
Step 3: Submit your application!
After you have completed your application, you must click "Review and Submit" and then "Submit" to forward it to us for consideration. Once your application has been submitted, you will receive a confirmation email.